Wednesday, 9 May 2007

Happiness

The elusive elixir of Western civilisation is the pursuit of happiness. But what makes you truly happy. I could think of many things that make me happy. Red meat, large breasts, fluffy clouds, milk, laughter, fresh air, an unblocked nose (yes, still have hayfever), making my films, writing - lots of it. But note, all these things are fleeting. There is only so much red meat you can consume, fluffy clouds become hurricanes and large breasts...actually, I could spend all day there.

But what gives rise to long lasting happiness? Does such a thing exist. We have to look at our lives and we are comfortable; have a roof over our heads, no chance of famine in the near future. Compared to humans in the past we have it good. Basically, if you're reading this, you're probably not in the Dafur and we have a lot to be grateful for. And yet, are you happy?

I wonder how many would answer 'no'. And I also wonder, would my answer be 'yes'?

No comments: