Wednesday, 12 September 2007

Film Fiestas (5)

I am sitting on the sofa, pondering and regretting the fact that I have eaten curry for breakfast. On my left is a small exercise book. I am too lazy to reach it, although it holds the location of a beautiful 'location' which I would one day like to use in a film...

My camera is repaired, finally! But I still have to repair a tap, get some business cards printed and finish a script (along with a synopsis).

But the curry on my tummy...

---

Preparations for the festival. What do I take, what do I wear, how do I present myself. Damn, I have to shave my head, another on the 'to-do' list. Where is that list anyways? Oh, I need to cycle as well, get some fitness levels going up. Maybe I can incorporate that into a trip to get business cards...

---

Ah! F**k! What am I thinking of! Tomorrow I got a festival and I don't have a clue about what is expected from me! Help! Oh my goodness, film types everywhere scrutinising you. You know the type, the weirdoes with the funky hair and glasses, the skinny types, the ones with the 'uptheirownbacksidevoices' who sneer at you when you offer your hand for a shake. The ones who have won awards, the ones who have got into Cannes, the ones...

---

Take a deep breath and go for it. One thing that has to be said, film making is not glamourous. If you're an actor it is. Turn up for an audition, make sure you look reasonable, party hard afterwards. For a director it is slightly different. Get the script, get the funding, organise the actors and crew, shoot, re-shoot, under pressure to finish on time, edit, find a distributor, countless rejections from festivals, agents and companies and this is all for one project which if you're lucky takes up only a year of your time.

---

I have been to many film festivals in my time, but Thursday marks the first one that I will be attending when I am also an attraction as well as a spectator. It's not the biggest festival on the planet, but I am still kind of nervous. And I am not sure how it will all turn out. But the adventure continues...

No comments: