Tuesday, 16 October 2007

UHT - The Devil's Milk

While I travel, I make a conscious effort to eat better. I make sure I pack in plenty of fruit and vegetables. An easy thing, considering the quality abroad. And I try to eat plenty of fibre. Nothing is worse than that uncomfortable feeling before a ten hour coach ride.

But, one of the surprising things about travelling to more exotic locales is the difficulty in getting fresh milk. Just in case I have not yet mentioned it, the majority of the world is lactose intolerant. Yoghurt and cheeses are not so bad as the lactose is soured out of those products. But milk is a definite no-no, particularly cows milk which has vast amounts of lactose.

For all regular readers of this blog, you know how much I like my milk. And so you can imagine the horror I felt when I was browsing through Auntie today:

Defra denies UHT switch plan

And it's not even April Fools!

No comments: