Saturday, 17 January 2009

The Boys are back in town...

For those that know me, my current bus driving job is my second incarnation in the role, and is one that occurs primarily at night. Yes, I drive a Night Bus through London's streets while my days are spent obsessing with floating milk bottles and railway tracks (don't ask).

Yesterday, I was asked to do a day job, as a 'favour'. Now, I hate working in the daytime. One, it f**ks with my body clock. Secondly, I actually have to work. It is busier, it is filled with traffic, spotters, you're getting scratched up all the time, people actually want to pay for their ride rather than simply puke up in the aisles. In other words, I have to pay attention to what is going on and keep a look out. Nights may screw up with your body clock, but they are infinitely more peaceful than days.

But one thing that was good, was that I had a chance to meet up with some of 'da boys' from the other garage who are slaving away during the days. While I am still working for the transport, I will not give too much away, but we were the 'Kings of the Streatham High Road' The common phrase is that all bus drivers are wankers. Well, that's a pretty mild assessment of us, especially on the trunk routes in, out and around London. And yeah, we get up to mischief. Not in a bad way, but we are all little devils in our own unique way. Anyone who has worked or is currently working for London Buses knows what I am saying and what I am not saying.

Anyway, it was good to meet up with the boys at the terminus, a chance to chat s**t and chew the cud. Honestly, the job itself is not that great, in that you have to be careful at it. It requires concentration. But some of the guys on the job are best jokers around.

1 comment:

Asad said...

Nothing like a night out with 'the lads'...or a day...