Sunday, 11 January 2009

Children...

Spawn of the loins, the scourge of society, scum and vermin. It is a wonder why we bother procreating. Sure, they are cute enough when they are young; only needing food, water and changing. But soon they grow up and that is when the trouble begins. Me, me, me, more selfish than my own ego, then come the teenage years. Experimentation and full rights but sod all responsibility, kids, spawn of other people's loveless relationships are tearing away on the streets. It would be easier if they were shot.

---

Calm. Chill. Relax.

---

I am not a big fan of children, one of the big reasons for not having them. When you see other people's offspring, it is a wonder why anyone would freely choose such a path to doom. after spending years trying to escape my own childhood, having to suddenly skull around for sex, bend over backwards for the whims of others ad the continuous conflicts makes you wonder if it is worth the hassle.

---

Yet to be convinced of the merits of children.

---

So as my generation slips into the years of child bearing, I wonder how many of my contemporaries will decide to take the plunge and not use contraception, deliberately. Anyone with stable partners are looking likely, and being in our late twenties, it is the time that we started to think about this. After all, with only six billion people on this world, we need to add our own unique genetic patterns to the soup. To reach out to infinity, beyond our own meagre lifespans. And after all the disappointments of our own personal dreams, what better way to justify our own existence than to get children. Then instead of doing things for ourselves, we can justify another mediocre existence with the phrase, 'I'm doing it for the kids'.

---

Smug families and the highlight of their own lives is free the parent and child parking spot at the supermarket.

---

At this moment in time I do not feel ready enough for children. The major one being the lack of a stable partner (ah, to believe I am five years younger). The lack of a stable career is a hindrance, but that is only an excuse. Also the lack of interest. I am too wrapped up in my own life, in what I want to do. The twenties are the years that we lay the foundations for the rest of our lives, assuming it is not cut short by some driver skidding around on red wine. I still have over a year to go and the honest truth is that children are the furthest thought from my mind along with the thought of finding a long term partner. But as the sun set on my twenties and the new dawn of my thirties approach, there is one question I have to ask...

---

When shall I actually begin to act my age, and not my shoe size?

2 comments:

El Maestro said...

People of Britain! Now is the time to do your bit for the economy...

...don't attempt to reproduce!

Asad said...

I tried acting my age once, for amount ten minutes...needless to say, it didn't feel comfortable...