Friday, 29 May 2009

Entering the UK

To be honest, we are a bit of a pathetic little island. Now the queue to enter UK via passport control at Heathrow is shockingly long, even for us lucky EU Nationals. Why? So they can take a more detailed check of our passports and ask us details about our 'travels' so keep your receipts handy and do not chuck away those boarding passes. Don't believe me, well next time you enter the country at an airport, check out the purple posters and plasma TV screens that explain the importance of thoroughly checking your travel documents. How pathetic.

I swear the UK is the only place in the world that advertises the fact that it has extended the time that you must wait at immigration for 'our own good'.

To be honest, when you get off a flight, the last thing you need is to be kept in a queue so some moody immigration guard can grill you about your traveling history. Or scrutinise your passport. Over and over again. When I jump off the plane I want to get home as quickly as possible so I can 'sit, shower and shave'. I already have to play roulette with the baggage carrosel to see if my luggage has made it to the LHR before tackling the dread known as TfL, so why the hassle to enter the UK.

I am certain that even the most ardent Daily Mail fan must get fed up at this?

And how come there is now an 'emigration' post from the UK? I am sure that Thatcher scrapped the farce of needing some border official to check your passport as you leave the country in order to save cash (one of her better policies - correct me if I am wrong). I was shocked this time when some bloke with a tie was waiting to see my passport. So how come their introduction? I don't care who is entering the UK, much less if someone is leaving this cloudy, climate-cursed isle.

Want a way to shave some money from the UK's public spending? Then less time at border control is the way forward.

2 comments:

Asad said...

Man, I really do wish that you had a column in one of the big national papers...a great piece...

el director! said...

what would probably be better is a small column in one of the 'rant' sheets...