Monday, 4 May 2009

The final week before travel begins...

All right, I admit, I have left before I have even arrived. My mind i on a holiday and boy a holiday well deserved. The actual fact is that this holiday could be a complete cock up, with me coming back with some disease (it happened in 2006 when I returned from Sri Lanka with Chikungunya), a victim of crime or even a victim of bureaucracy. Considering I am going to a country of a billion souls, that is pretty likely. But saying that, all travel is a risk. Walking out of your own front door is risky and to be honest, I could do with a dose of adventure and the unknown. Really, I have no one to meet, no knowledge of what lies before me apart from a slither of guide book and not much else in the way of protection...

Traveling to India marks a big frontier for me in many ways. As I have already mentioned it takes me to a billionaire country, the second I have travelled to after China and now I could say that in theory I have seen a third of humanity. It also means I have covered (in theory) a big chunk of Asia adding Indonesia, Pakistan, Malaysia, and Sri Lanka to that list, amongst others. Along with the USA I have now visited the four nations on Earth that contain nearly forty percent of the world's people, quite a feat for a guy who is still in his twenties...

Oh, and I am celebrating my birthday in India. On purpose. Whenever I am in the UK, I always seem to work on my birthday. In fact since 2002, I have worked on every birthday and so I have taken the executive decision to spend my second birthday out of the UK and in a different land.

So why North East India, why Assam? Why not Mumbai or Delhi. Beautiful Kerala, the fun of Goa or even the cool foothills of Shimla. In fact, why choose the rainiest place on Earth at the beginning of the monsoon season?

Ah, I think I will answer that question tomorrow...

No comments: