Tuesday, 25 August 2009

The perfect cup of tea

For some reason my tea making skills are pants. Don't ask me why, but I can never make the perfect cup of tea. And I drink gallons of the stuff. In the morning, I am nothing without a sip of that Asian nectar. Whether green, oolong, red, yellow, black, white or just a simple assortment of twigs and leaves, I will drink tea of any kind, with or without caffeine (although the Chinese and black varieties are infinitely better tasting due to the stimulus).

However, my tea making skills are crap. Surprising, as my coffee tastes really good (although I am no big fan of coffee). The patience needed to brew tea, the ceremony of the pot and the kettle, it is beyond my comprehension. Still, I have an affinity for tea loving countries, hence my passion for travel in Asia. For me, tea is the height of civilisation. It is something that cannot be underestimated in terms of its use as a social lubricant as well as a simple phycological tool.

I need to take more time for my tea. The fruit of the Himalaya, now grown throughout the world, I very much doubt that this will be the last blog post on this subject. Now I think I am about to make a nice cup of tea...

3 comments:

Asad said...

Could do with one of those now...

magiceye said...

oh yes...love that specially on a rainy day with some onion pakodas!

el director! said...

@asad - having one right now myself!
@magiceye - a special chai always hits the spot!