Wednesday, 21 October 2009

A cup of chai

One of the infinite pleasures of travelling through India is the tea. I love tea, fact. None of this cappuccino crap or bucket sized cups of expresso that seem to swill down the throats of westerners, but a lovely cup of tea will refresh me anytime of the day. I'll drink it anyhow or anyway, but if I have a preference, it is for my tea to be unsweetened, and if it is a black tea, then for it to have just a dash of milk, although I will also happily drink black tea without the moo juice.

However, in India, tea is very much of the spiced, sweetened and milky variety. And you know what, I love it! Wherever I go for Rs2 or Rs3 a Chai Wallah will serve up his own special brew. I do not need to be scared of dirty water or milk as everything is boiled to achieve the perfect brew. In the morning, it kick starts my day, in the heat of the sun, it cools and refreshes me, and if I need a quick pick-me-up before I head on board a long bus journey, it is a cup of tea that will refresh beyond belief. Thank goodness for this little miracle on India's roads. And when it is served in a clay cup, you can have the extra satisfaction of throwing your finished cup to the ground - the ultimate in biodegradability! Masters of Chai, long may you continue to refresh the nation!

4 comments:

Asad said...

Slurp! Tea is the stuff of life itself...

el director! said...

If you analysed my blood, it would contain at least 15% tea...

magiceye said...

in mumbai it is the 'cutting' chai that is served all over the place! 'cutting' is the term used for 1/2 a glass!

el director! said...

on my next visit, i must savour the taste of chai in mumbai. but it is that clay pot that does it for me in calcutta!