Friday, 6 November 2009

India 2 - Eating Well



Oh, that is one thing I did in India. The cuisine of a vast country with its cultural whims and ways, means that the food on offer is spectacular and tasty. And trust me, the cultural influence of India is evident in the eclectic nature of the cuisine. Dumplings in India? Whether it is an influence from Nepal or Tibet it is now a Bengali speciality. Being India it is a country that grows all its food, so eating is fresh and cheap! Also, I am a bit of a hungry fella, and for me, nibbling my way around a country is as important as breathtaking sights and meeting the locals. The experience of my stomach is as important as any other experience.



And remember where to get the best food. It is at India's street stalls. No matter where you go in the country, there is always someone with a little kerosene/gas stove and a handful of ingredients cooking up a delight that will fill up the casual traveller such as myself. Cheap, cheerful and fresh, I never once got sick in my travels through this country and I ate at every imaginable street stall around. And it was not just a diet that did not just kept me in survival but gave me the strength to meet the Khasis, hop on the train, cross a tree root (rubber not bamboo) bridge and watch great movies. I also did a lot more during my second trip to this wonderful land, thanks to the great food on offer. Stay tuned fr more travel tales from wonderful India!

2 comments:

Asad said...

Me, food and India don't really go together...Delhi is okay, but Moradabad is the centre of the global food adulteration industry...

el director! said...

What Delhi? You really need to get your palette retuned. It is Kolkata all the way for me!