Saturday, 13 March 2010

Crossings of the River Thames - an update!


(A piece of Rennie's London Bridge, in the pavement outside the Royal Exchange)

I started this journey across London a very long time ago. In a different era, in a different time, all the way in West London through to the centre of this fair city.

I started this series of crossings for many reasons. Primarily it was to get me away from the world of film making and other hum drum activities. Once a month I would have to leave my little world and open my eyes to see what else was out there.

This series has provided a certain stability to my oh-so-chaotic life and in an almost autistic manner, I have catalogued every crossing point across the Thames, every month that I have been in London. It has allowed me to explore the city I call home and to discover some quite surprising aspects of this fair town. Not only have I seen some fantastic parts of London, I have managed to uncover for myself and the readers of this blog, a different side to a place that on the surface seems all too familiar.

And so here is the full list of crossings, over, under or through the Thames that I have visited. Just a reminder of the 'rules'. Each crossing must be readily accessible to the public on foot. They also must be in Greater London for some or all of their length.



In other words, there can be no restrictions on access, or limitations to pedestrians. So the Blackwall Tunnel is not included as it is a vehicle only tunnel. Likewise, all the tunnels under the Thames on the Tube network are not included because of the trains that will kill you every few minutes. It also must be open to the public on a regular basis. It can be seasonal or even closed at night, but one-offs (such as the reopened Thames Tunnel) are off the list.

So, from west to east are the crossings so far visited:

Hampton Ferry (Plus a How to get there bit)
Hampton Court Bridge
Kingston Bridge
Teddington Lock
Ham Ferry
Richmond Bridge
Twickenham Bridge (Two Posts)
Richmond Lock
Kew Bridge
Chiswick Bridge
Barnes Railway Bridge
Hammersmith Bridge
Putney Bridge
Fulham Railway Bridge
Wandsworth Bridge
Battersea Bridge
Albert Bridge
Chelsea Bridge
Vauxhall Bridge
Lambeth Bridge
Westminster Bridge
Hungerford Bridge (Two Posts)
Waterloo Bridge
Blackfriars Bridge
Millennium Bridge
Southwark Bridge
London Bridge (Two Posts)

Take a read. Spelling mistakes and everything else, enjoy what I have seen and chronicled of this great city!

And still to come:

Tower Bridge
Rotherhithe Tunnel
Canary Wharf-Rotherhithe Ferry
Greenwich Foot Tunnel
Woolwich Ferry
Woolwich Foot Tunnel

That means, this journey could well come to an end by this year. Along the way, I have (of course) distracted myself from this herculean task, so it is no garuntee, but 2010 could see the sunset on my little wander trough London. And then what?

Ah, that could be revealed tomorrow...

3 comments:

Asad said...

The twenty best kebab shops in W10? *Munch*...

magiceye said...

excellent!

el director! said...

guys, i can't wait to get to the east end and some of the more 'funky' crossings of london...