Thursday, 17 June 2010

Bicycle Diaries (June '10) - An end?



This is what remains of my bicycle.

Now let me go back to the beginning.

I cycle. Pretty much everywhere. For the past couple of weeks, with filming and everything else, I have not been doing as much as I would have liked. But it is a cheap and practical way to get around the city in which I live.

Last night, I was cycling to work as normal. And then came the shred. My cycle has been knackered for weeks. The gear mechanism has been gone for a while, and so I have two settings for my legs to tackle the hills of South London. A hard uphill struggle and super fast downhill (but at least I have been spared the ignominy of granny gear). And so the gear mechanism wrapped itself around my crank. Pulled off the cogs, wires went everywhere and pedals no longer worked. Damn.

So, I was left with a white elephant. What to do. Well, one word. CANNIBALISE! Yanked off the spare wheels and got my lights and saddle off. And chucked the rest of the frame on the scrap metal heap at my workplace. Oh yes, there is a heap of scrap metal which includes old toasters, microwave ovens and now, the remnants of my 22 month old bicycle. It has done a good job for almost two years, but like all (good) things, it came to an end - in spectacular fashion!

2 comments:

Asad said...

Love the new aesthetic! :D

el director! said...

@asad - the bumblebee effect...