Saturday, 26 June 2010

Welcome to the city...

London is one hell of a big city. We Londoners may not realise it, especially if we are locked in a daily commute between two fixed points. And despite the rise of urban areas across the world, London is still a megacity in its own right. It is the largest city in the EU, and still in the top twenty cities worldwide by population.

But boy oh boy, did I get a feel for the size of the city yesterday. From morning until now I have been driving across the urban fabric of this place. Partly as a job, partly due to family occasions and partly due to shop. I must have covered well over 200 miles in the past twenty four hours, such is the amount I have managed to cover. Of course, it was not all plain sailing. Roadworks on the North Circular, Tower Bridge being raised and finally, the New Kent Road shut for four hours.

This last thing got on my nerves. Where was the traffic news? Sod the M25, how about the city itself. Where was TfL with their information? They got cash to blow, but nothing was forthcoming. No road closed signs, no diversion boards, no exemptions from the congestion charge. Nothing. Chaos and mayhem in South London. Typical.

Anyway, it is time I hit the sack. Another busy day ahead of me...

2 comments:

magiceye said...

:) another urban whine!

el director! said...

@magiceye - do not get me started - a total of three hours to do less than 25 miles!