Monday, 3 January 2011

The Motorcycle DIaries (8) - Service!

While a man waits for his computer to render, there are many things he can do. Some minor DIY, cook, or fix up his motorbike...

When I first got the bike, I did a quick oil change, but I knew the oil was not that good, but better than the stuff already in the engine. I have rode the bike a fair bit, but over the past fortnight, the exhaust fumes were getting a bit smoky - not a good sign.

So I had to ride the bike a little more gently, until I had the time to get and change the oil. As always with me, the filming took precedent, but while I was rendering copies of Irfan, I went off to the bike shop and got myself some new oil.

The good stuff too, and four litres of it. Seeing that a CG125 has capacity for about 1L of oil, that means I can get 3 more oil changes out of that bottle.

Worryingly, about half a litre of old oil came out of the engine when I changed the oil Where had the rest of the oil gone to?

Anyway, after that, it was time to change my spark plug. A car normally has four cylinders, hence four sparks, but a bike is a wonderful contraption that relies on only one plug. I have not got a clue when it was last changed, so while the oil was draining (and the computer rendering) now seemed as a good a time as any to change the baby.



(New plug on the right)

Changing a spark plug is as easy as changing a light bulb. First, gently tease off the cover casing (located on the right side of this bike, above the engine). Then, get a Spark Plug tool (I know there are more technical names for these things, but I just know what they are, not what they are called). Anyway, it looks like this:



And untwist the spark plug. Now some people check and clean the plug. I checked and threw it away, as the new plug is pretty cheap to buy, and hey, I only have one of them, so I'll spoil myself!

Next, insert the plug back in.



What I did was put a little WD-40 on the threads, so it would screw in a little easier. Did the job just fine. Tighten (enough, not too much) with the Spark Plug Tool and pop the Cap back on. Once I had filled the engine with oil, I gave it a crank and voila! The engine started. What can cost £70 at a garage, cost me nothing in labour. £30 for the oil (good for four oil changes, as I got 4L of the stuff) and £6 for the Spark Plug. In other words, per service, that would work out to £14 (one oil change and one spark change). Also lubed up the chain, and yeah, the bike is good to go for the rest of the winter! Oh yeah...

2 comments:

Asad said...

Admirable stuff, man...

magiceye said...

way to go!!