Sunday, 20 February 2011

Charlie's on Holiday to Poland (5) - Opera, Movies and Hang Suites...

It was not all bars and clubbing for me while I was in Poland. Oh no, I also got to taste a little bit of culture while I was there. Polish culture.

You can see from my tone of this set of blogs that I am bemused by Poland, and this extends to its nightlife. Really, I do not think you get it. Hell, even I do not get it. Poland was fun, but it was really unexpected. Any Polish folks reading this blog, you guys have got to get some marketing guys along. You have one hell of a great country, but nobody knows about it.

Look, Poland has many stereo types, not many of them good. People do not see the Polish people as artistic, funny or cool. But that is exactly what I discovered while I was in Poland. A rich history (more to come on that), a very funny people (really, these guys have a great sense of humour) and cool hang suites!

Okay, let us get artistic. Fancy Opera for a few quid. Well, that is exactly what Wroclaw had in store for me. That's what you can do by just turning up on the day and seeing if the performance is a non-premiere. You get the best seats in the house, and you if it is a non-premiere, you do not even have to dress up - jeans and a thick sweater (this is Poland) will do just fine - yey! Check it out, the Wroclaw Opera House...


(Inside Wroclaw Opera House)

Or how about an evening out. Normally in Britain that means getting shitfaced in a pub with loud music and a lot of tax going to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs every time you buy some liquor. But in Poland, you do not have to drink. I know, the and which gave us the word Vodka is also home to quiet bars where yes, you can have a cup of tea at midnight and not be seen as some freak. You can dance and part if you want, or if you want to have a quiet word after church, then you could always head to one of these great little bars, always dotted around town...


(Another chilled out bar in Kazimierz, Krakow)

But this is the blog of El Director. And no visit to another country would be complete without checking out the cinema. And yes, I saw a Polish comedy - they do exist, I promise (really, any Poles reading this, please market your country better!). I went to see Och Karol 2 - which roughly translates as 'Oh Charles!' A story about a womaniser called Karol (or Charles) who during the course of the film beds 6 sweet, sweet laskis. Yeah, you can see why I like this film. This guy is my hero, plus he is called Charles! Oh, if only I had as much luck as my namesake...



Now there are no English subtitles, so basically I watched this film without understanding anything but the basic premise. But I cracked up during the film. Really, this was one hell of a funny movie. No subtitles were needed. Please, you have only one language that you need to muster here...haha!

Go on enjoy the trailer:



The last line in that trailer roughly translates as: Here's a timetable for the sex - really, what a great film - one of the funniest I have seen in ages! So there you have it. A little dash of Polish culture. Unexpectedly good. Poland is one hell of a fun country to just hang out in. And there is more to come...

2 comments:

magiceye said...

time they offered you the job of promoting their country!!
you are doing a mighty fine job too!!

el director! said...

@magiceye - they could pay me in 'laskis' ;)