Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Zielona Gora - Unofficial Artwork...

I spent a hell of a long time in the town of Zielona Gora this summer. Part of that reason was for the film festival - Quest Europe - where I was a member of the jury. And when you got time, you take a wonder through town and see the quirks, the foibles, the little bits and pieces that stand out.

Now, I got to say that ZG is surprisingly artistic. In a good way. Unlike other parts of Poland, it feels far more on the nice side compared to other Polish cities. Much of Poland has a feel of deprivation to it, but ZG is one of the better looking town and the air in the city is not threatening but fun and enjoyable.

And so onto the art work. There is a lot of it littered around town. Yesterday you saw the official art installations, but there is a lot of 'street art' out here. Some beautiful, and some the normal works that you notice here and there, but it adds a vibrancy and decoration to Zielona Gora.

First up, I do not have a clue what this is, but it is damn pretty!



Right outside the central part of town, this wonderful wall mural is one of the best I have seen in all my travels. It covers the whole side of the building and really, it is gorgeous. I am a big fan of blue, and it really does liven up this part of the city. I do not know how long it took to make this piece of art, but it was worthwhile!

One of the nice things, is that there has been no tagging on many of the artworks. They have been left in their original state. Imagine that in London? Never!



I do not know what this is, it can kind of be figured out, but let me be honest. It is 5am! Why am I blogging after work instead of going to sleep! Well, it is a nice mural, I loved it, and again, are there any such untagged designs in my home town?



This guy on the right I have seen all over Zielona Gora. I do not know who he is, but he definitely looks like a bloke. That mischievous look, that cheeky grin. He knows something that I don't. What, who, how, why, where, and when? I want to know more about him, but it will be a while before I head back to ZG to find out more...

Well, I think I am done with my look back at Zielona Gora. My East European Road trip actually took on a whole host of new countries. I went from Zielona Gora to Budapest and back again in five days of hard core driving and sight seeing. And being the first time I drove on the 'other side' of the road, I was impressed, and terrified at the same time. Stick around as this blog will detail my very first road trip later in the month!

No comments: